August 14, 2017 (update)
Dear Members and Friends of Crossroads Church of the Nazarene,
Greetings in the Name of Jesus Christ! I trust this letter finds you encouraged by the presence of God in your life. It is a privilege to greet you and to share with you about what lies ahead for Crossroads Church of the Nazarene.
There are several items that I want to communicate with you as we prayerfully consider the “Next Step” in the life of the church.
Next Step #1 – We give God thanks for the godly leadership of Pastor Kevin and his family over the last 17 years! God has blessed his work and I join you in praying for him as he assumes the responsibility of serving as the newly elected Michigan District Superintendent.
Next Step #2 - Your Church Board has affirmed the 2020 Vision which provides strategic direction for the future of Crossroad’s ministry. The intention is to continue to implement and build upon the progress that has already taken place.
Next Step #3 – You are invited to a congregational meeting on Sunday afternoon, August 20th at 4pm to discuss building project plans that have been underway for the last several months. You have already approved this project, however there are some new developments that you will want to come and hear about.
Next Step #4 - Your Church Board has been working diligently on the task of considering Crossroad’s next pastor. Over the next several weeks you will hear more about the process and you will be asked to complete a congregational survey that will guide the development of the pastoral profile. Please watch Crossroad’s social media platforms to get updated information.
Next Step #5, - I am asking you to be in prayer! God is already at work preparing new leadership for Crossroads! Our task is to seek His will and His face for His direction. Let me remind you of the six word story guiding this interim time…The Best Is Yet To Come!
Be assured of my continued prayers for you, for the leadership and for those who call Crossroads their home
Blessings and Peace!
For the Kingdom!
Dr. David W. Bowser
Mid-Atlantic District Superintendent
Crossroads Church Family,
As many of you know, our dear lead pastor Kevin Hardy and his family will be transitioning to a new home and new position as of August 13th, 2017. Pastor Kevin and his family have served faithfully here at Crossroads for the last 17 years and they will be greatly missed. Kevin has decided to follow the call of God in his life and has accepted the district superintendent role for the Michigan District of the Church of the Nazarene. This is a great honor and he will be overseeing 75 churches in that area. Let us continue to pray for Pastor Kevin, Jane, Weston, Patrick and Kristin as they move away to a new home.
Our leadership board would like to share with all of you the plan that is in place to find a successor in the lead pastor role. Our district superintendent Dr. David Bowser will be overseeing this process along with our elected church board. Please review the steps below.
Ellicott City Crossroads
Steps in Calling a Pastor
July 22, 2017
- The District Superintendent meets with the local church board to begin the process of calling a pastor. This includes the following steps:
- Urging prayer as a necessary ingredient for determining God’s will.
- Selection of an interim pastor. (The interim pastor will not be considered as a candidate for pastor.)
- Enabling the church board and congregation to develop a profile of the person that should serve as pastor.
- Considering the records of those persons who are to be considered potential nominees for the office of pastor.
- The church board, under the direction of the District Superintendent, will select a person as a possible nominee and arrangements will be made for a personal interview. The board will be expected to keep any names of potential pastors confidential, and it will be appreciated if the congregation honors this expectation.
- Following the interview, the church board will meet in executive session to evaluate the information gained from the interview. Then a ballot vote will be taken as to whether this person will be nominated to the church membership. If at least a two-thirds majority of the board members vote affirmatively, and the District Superintendent approves, the name will be presented to the church membership for formal voting.
- In compliance with the requirements of the Manual, the meeting of the church membership for voting on a prospective pastor will be announced in at least two preceding regular services.
- Before voting, the congregation will have the opportunity to meet with the pastoral candidate in order to get acquainted.
- In the church meeting, all active members (age 15 and above) will be entitled to vote. The call of the pastor requires a two-thirds favorable vote by ballot of the church members of voting age present and voting. There is no allowance for absentee voting.
- When the call is extended to the minister under consideration, the minister will communicate acceptance of the call no later than 15 days from the date of the church meeting voting that call.